INFANT /TODDLER COTTAGES
Our Infant/Toddler program is comprised of two classrooms. The Cricket Cottage welcomes babies six weeks through one year of age and has eight children and two Teachers. The Ladybug Cottage welcomes children one and two years of age and has twelve children and two Teachers.
Our Infant/Toddler Cottages are influenced by Resources for Infant Educarers (RIE). It is a “relationship-based” philosophy, based on mutual trust and respect for each child. Based on the individual child’s developmental stage, our teachers acknowledge and support their need for both dependence and independence. Warm, loving, positive relationships with caregivers help infants and toddlers develop a sense of trust in the world and a feeling of competence. These meaningful interactions are essential for the healthy development of the child’s self-esteem.
We encourage each child’s authenticity and allow for uninterrupted child- directed play. Children are provided a safe, comfortable, nurturing, and stimulating environment from which to grow. Infants and toddlers learn by experiencing the environment through their senses, by physically moving around and through their social interactions. We provide them the freedom to explore within their safe environment and interact with children of their own age. The classrooms are filled with age appropriate toys, materials and equipment to foster each child’s individual growth and development.
We love Mother Nature! Our infants and toddlers are given opportunities daily to enjoy the natural world outdoors. When out of the classroom, babies are strapped safely in strollers for rides in the fresh air and enjoy playing in our covered, fenced in play area, Jennie’s House. Our toddlers also enjoy playing in Jennie’s House as well as safely exploring the great outdoors on their covered, screened in lanai, on the toddler playground and when tending to their garden box in the school garden. Rest assured, your child will not be exposed to any harmful pesticides when playing outdoors. The Cottages uses only integrated pest control which manages pests through non-toxic, all natural methods.
Your baby’s health and well-being are of the utmost importance to us. At this stage in life, children are more vulnerable to the harmful effects of environmental toxins then at any other time. This is why we have thoughtfully selected the toys, furnishings, supplies, and best practices for our infant care environment.
- Our toys are non-toxic and free of all but the safest plastics.
- Soft toys and linens provided are made from organic fibers. (Cricket Cottage only)
- Crib mattresses are covered with organic quilted covers. Crib mattresses are made with chemicals that have been linked to childhood health problems. Chemicals such as fire retardants and plasticizers can be found in the foam and vinyl covers. Organic mattress covers provide a barrier to avoid the unnecessary exposure to these chemicals. (Cricket Cottage only)
- We use only non-toxic cleaning and laundry supplies for a healthier indoor environment.
- Stainless steel serving bowls and BPA free spoons are used during mealtimes to reduce waste and provide a toxin-free dining experience.
- We require everyone entering the Infant Cottage to remove their shoes in consideration of the children. Many studies show that shoes can track in dirt, germs, and pesticides. A shoe-free policy helps keep the floors safe for children to play on.